Post-doctoral researcher or Research Staff Member position
The IBM Research – Zurich laboratory is IBM’s leading house for research on alternative qubits and is a partner in the Swiss National Science Foundation project NCCR SPIN.
We are looking for an outstanding candidate to join our research team on spin-based quantum computing. The project involves the development of a scalable architecture of spin qubits in gate-defined quantum dots in silicon. Samples will be fabricated in our BRNC cleanroom. The position entails the development of spin manipulation and read-out methods, the improvement of coherence times of electron spins, novel designs or fabrication methods, and/or the development of scalable architectures and packaging solutions.
The successful candidate will be working in an internationally collaborative research framework within IBM and within the European quantum community.
Candidates applying for this position should fulfill the following requirements:
- PhD degree in physics with a strong background in semiconductor physics, quantum mechanics and quantum information processing, or equivalent.
- At least two years of post-doctoral experience in academia or industry.
- Proven experience in performing experiments at cryogenic temperatures, ideally with spin qubit devices.
- Knowledge of micro- and nano-fabrication technologies, ideally involving silicon processing.
- Skills in control and measurement automation.
- Ability to conduct independent work, to work in a team, and to take responsibility.
- Hands-on approach and ability to make things happen.
- Capability and eagerness to learn independently about new subject area(s) and underlying technologies.
- Excellent communication skills in English (written and oral).
In addition, the following skills are desired:
- Expertise in microwave engineering and the use of simulation tools, such as Ansys HFSS.
- Expertise in design tools (GDS design/CAD drawing using Cadence, Catia, Solidworks, etc.).
- Proficiency in Python.
- Familiarity with software development platforms such as GitHub.
IBM is committed to diversity at the workplace. With us you will find an open, multicultural environment. Excellent flexible working arrangements enable all genders to strike the desired balance between their professional development and their personal lives.
How to apply
To apply for the position please send your application documents in a single PDF file. Besides your CV, we kindly ask you to describe in your cover letter how you fulfill the position requirements. Please also indicate which other additional skills you possess that you consider relevant to the application process. This position is available immediately. Dependent on qualifications and expertise, this position is offered as a permanent Research Staff Member or a post-doctoral researcher.