Post-doctoral researcher position
The IBM Research – Zurich laboratory is IBM’s leading house for research on alternative qubits and is also a partner in the Swiss National Science Foundation project NCCR SPIN. The successful candidate will be working in an internationally collaborative research framework within IBM and within the European quantum community.
We are looking for an outstanding candidate to join the experimental quantum computing team at IBM Research – Zurich and work on the SNF project “Reducing decoherence from two-level fluctuators through 3D-structured silicon substrates”.
The goal of this project is to use 3D silicon structuring to understand and suppress the interaction of quantum systems with interface defects and material imperfections in their vicinity. The position entails the development of buried superconducting resonator structures and phononic bandgap devices to engineer both the coupling and the spectrum of the interaction between the TLS bath and the respective quantum system. The focus for the candidate will be on ultralow-noise cryogenic microwave measurements and their careful analysis. The candidate will be supervised and supported by Andreas Fuhrer (experiment) and Clemens Müller (theory). Samples will be fabricated in the Binnig and Rohrer Nanotechnology Center (BRNC) in close collaboration with experienced staff.
Candidates applying for this position should fulfill the following requirements:
- PhD degree in physics with a strong background in semiconductor physics, quantum mechanics and quantum information processing, or equivalent.
- Expertise in microwave engineering and the use of simulation tools, such as Ansys HFSS.
- Proven experience in performing experiments at cryogenic temperatures, preferentially with solid-state qubits or superconducting quantum devices.
- Skills in control and measurement automation.
- Ability to conduct independent work, to work in a team, and to take responsibility.
- Hands-on approach and ability to make things happen.
- Capability and eagerness to learn independently about new subject area(s) and underlying technologies.
- Excellent communication skills in English (written and oral).
In addition, the following skills are desired:
- Knowledge of micro- and nano-fabrication technologies, ideally involving silicon deep etching (DRIE).
- Expertise in design tools (GDS design).
- Proficiency in Python.
- Familiarity with software development platforms such as GitHub.
IBM is committed to diversity at the workplace. With us you will find an open, multicultural environment. Excellent flexible working arrangements enable all genders to strike the desired balance between their professional development and their personal lives.
How to apply
To apply for the position please send your application documents in a single PDF file. Besides your CV, we kindly ask you to describe in your cover letter how you fulfill the position requirements. Please also indicate which other additional skills you possess that you consider relevant to the application process. This position is available immediately.