MSc or PhD student internship
Machine learning algorithms and systems
About the position
The Data and AI Systems team at IBM Research Europe in Zurich is conducting state-of-the-art research related to algorithms and systems for fast, large-scale machine learning. We are always looking to expand our team with highly talented MSc/PhD students interested in working in the area of novel algorithms and systems for machine learning. This position will involve designing and/or prototyping of new machine learning algorithms and evaluating their performance empirically and/or theoretically. Topics of interest include (but are not limited to) ensemble learning, distributed learning, boosting and automated machine learning. Successful research will be published at top AI conferences and potentially integrated into IBM’s AI product offerings. The team has a proven track record in this area, having developed a new software framework for high-performance, distributed machine learning (Snap ML) and published research papers at top AI conferences.
Candidates are expected to have the following background and interests
- BSc/MSc in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Applied Mathematics, Statistics or a related field. Both MSc and PhD students are encouraged to apply.
- Experience with C++ and/or Python.
- Practical experience with machine learning frameworks such as scikit-learn, TensorFlow or PyTorch.
- Familiarity with version control systems (git).
- Self-motivation and passion for problem-solving.
- Excellent written and oral communication and teamwork skills.
Additional relevant skills (not formal requirements)
- Familiarity with Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience working on open-source projects.
- Experience using public cloud platforms such as AWS, Azure or IBM.
- Participation in Kaggle competitions.
Positions are available immediately for a (flexible) duration of 3 to 6 months. The successful candidates will enjoy an internationally competitive salary and work in a collaborative and creative group in an exclusive research environment.
IBM is committed to diversity at the workplace. With us you will find an open, multicultural environment. Excellent flexible working arrangements enable all genders to strike the desired balance between their professional development and their personal lives.
How to apply
Interested candidates are welcome to submit an application.
Technical questions? Contact Dr. Thomas Parnell, firstname.lastname@example.org