Silicon spin qubits
We are looking for an enthusiastic candidate to join the experimental semiconductor qubit team in the Quantum Technology group at IBM Research Europe – Zurich. The goal of this project is to extend our quantum dot spin qubit platform from a linear chain to a 2D geometry. The project is linked to the Swiss National Science Foundation NCCR SPIN. Current IBM finFET quantum dots provide strong and electrode-count-efficient confinement, allowing qubit operation up to 4.2 K in a linear chain. The successful candidate will contribute to design, fabrication and measurement as needs go. Devices will be fabricated in the Binnig and Rohrer Nanotechnology Center in close collaboration with experienced staff. The postdoctoral researcher will be mentored by Dr. P. Harvey-Collard and work in a tightly integrated and collaborative team. The IBM Research Europe – Zurich laboratory is IBM’s leading house for research on alternative qubits, and is also a partner in the Swiss National Science Foundation NCCR SPIN. The Zurich laboratory has strong international connections within IBM and within the European quantum computing community.
Qualifications we are looking for.
Candidates should explain which of the following possible qualifications they possess:
- PhD degree in physics or equivalent, ideally with a strong background in semiconductor physics, quantum mechanics or quantum information processing.
- Proven experience in performing experiments at cryogenic temperatures, preferentially with solid-state quantum devices and AWG/RF/MW techniques.
- Good software programming skills for experiments, preferably in Python.
- Autonomy in conducting research, ability to work in a team, and professionalism.
- Excellent communication skills in English (written and oral).
In addition, the following skills are considered an asset:
- Creativity in research, ability to supervise team members.
- Skills in nanofabrication technologies, ideally involving silicon.
IBM is committed to diversity at the workplace. With us you will find an open, multicultural environment. Excellent flexible working arrangements enable all genders to strike the desired balance between their professional development and their personal and family lives.
How to apply
We kindly ask you to provide your CV, describe in your cover letter your relevant skills and your motivation for this position, and provide contact information for at least two references.
This position is available immediately. The initial suggested commitment is two years, with possibilities to extend. Applications handed in before March 31, 2022 will be taken into further consideration.