ETH Master Thesis or Semester Project
About the job
The IBM Research Laboratory is located just 40 minutes away from ETH Zurich. This creates a fantastic opportunity for highly motivated ETH Student to join our unique research-corporate environment for a Master Thesis or a Semester Project.
The AI Automation team is looking for students that are interested to work in topics such as:
- Adaptivity of instance segmentation models to different domains (e.g., different backgrounds, objects to detect, defect types) and environments (e.g., changing weather, time in the day).
- Improvement to state-of-the-art deep learning methods, ranging from supervised methods, self-supervised approaches, as well as fully unsupervised methods.
- Tackling the low-resource problem by data augmentation and data synthesis (including diffusion methods).
- Implementation of multi-stage computer vision pipelines into a managed service, accounting for execution performance, robustness (e.g., accounting for corner cases), etc.
- Automated measurement, point-cloud, 2D/3D navigation, assisted labeling, as well as many other topics!
A unique aspect of our projects is the opportunity to work on client data that are not available to the public and represent a big challenge even for the most successful state-of-the-art methods. As part of our team, you will collaborate with experienced Research Scientists and AI Software Engineers that will lead and help you to successfully complete the challenges of the proposed task. You will also have access to HPC and Cloud infrastructure equipped with recent variants of GPUs and many other resources and tools to perform the work. The technology created in our team is powering IBM mainstream products, such as Maximo Visual Inspection and has been successfully applied to the 3rd longest suspension bridge in the world - the Storebaelt. By automating and improving inspection of civil infrastructure, we make such infrastructures safer and at the same time we extend their lifetime expectation, thus reducing CO2 emissions caused by the use of concrete for major repairs, decommission of old structures, and construction of new ones.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer vision or a related technical field, including equivalent practical experience
- Experience in software development with Python
- Proficient working in Unix/Linux environments
- Team player, self-motivated with a passion for technology and innovation
- Experience in one or more of the following: REST APIs, machine learning, deep learning, algorithms and data structures, test automation, distributed computing, CI/CD
- Practical experience with Machine Learning / Deep Learning frameworks such as PyTorch;
- 3+ years of proved programming experience in Python (or equivalent C/C++ experience);
- Independent worker with the ability to effectively operate with flexibility in a fast-paced, constantly evolving team environment
IBM is committed to diversity at the workplace. With us you will find an open, multicultural environment. Excellent flexible working arrangements enable all genders to strike the desired balance between their professional development and their personal lives.
How to apply
If you are interested in this exciting position, please submit your most recent curriculum vitae. We encourage candidates to also share a 3-minute video, in which they introduce themselves, as well as highlight their motivation and expertise. The video is not mandatory.