Binnig and Rohrer nanotechnology cleanroom facility
Working at the place where Innovation starts.
IBM Research in Zurich is looking for a Manager of the Binnig and Rohrer nanotechnology cleanroom facility.
IBM Research Europe – Zurich is one of IBM’s 11 global research labs. Our mission comprises cutting-edge research for tomorrow’s information technology and inventing what is next in computing. Our research activities comprise quantum computing and technologies, hardware for artificial intelligence, next generation semiconductor materials, devices and systems, photonics as well as nanosciences and technologies. We cultivate close relationships with academic and industrial partners and are part of the local as well as global scientific community and help drive Europe’s innovation agenda.
The Binnig and Rohrer Nanotechnology Center (BRNC) is a state-of-the-art research facility, providing cutting-edge infrastructure to advance nanotechnology. It is a private public partnership of IBM Research and ETH Zurich, located on the campus of IBM Research in Rüschlikon, Switzerland. The facility for micro- and nanofabrication comprises more than 1000 m2 of cleanroom and lab space and serves employees of ETH, IBM, and their collaboration partners.
In your role as the manager of the BRNC cleanroom facility you will be part of the management of the Science of Quantum and Information Technologies Department with the following responsibilities:
- Organization and coordination of the cleanroom operation, incl. performance of runs and process development.
- Leading and managing of cleanroom operation staff, consisting of experienced PhDs, engineers, and technicians.
- Staying leading edge in nanofabrication technology to serve the users of the facility, including development of the cleanroom tool set and maintenance.
- Responsibility for all aspects of safety, incl. training, definition of procedures and enforcement of rules.
- User education, training, and consulting.
- Cleanroom access for employees from IBM, ETH, and their partners.
- Budget management including data collection and preparation for cost distribution and billing.
- Stakeholder relationship management.
- Managing the model shop and electronics services.
The following skills are required for the position:
- Proven expert skills in micro- and nanofabrication techniques and semiconductor technology (e.g., lithography, wet and dry etching, thin film deposition including latest technologies).
- PhD degree in physics, electrical engineering, material science or a related discipline.
- Long standing and hands-on work experience in cleanrooms, ideally with more than 5 years of experience in cleanroom management.
- Proven track record in leading a high-performing team.
- Experience in establishing partnerships and collaborating with partners.
- Project management skills.
- Experience in data analysis and data management.
- Very good language skills in English and German.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills for interaction in a high-performance and multicultural and diverse environment promoting an inclusive and ethical work environment.
IBM is committed to diversity at the workplace. With us you will find an open, multicultural environment. Excellent flexible working arrangements enable all genders to strike the desired balance between their professional development and their personal lives.
How to apply
Please submit a letter of application detailing your qualification together with a curriculum vitae, a list of publications, three references and any other relevant information.
Questions? For more information, please contact Dr. Heike Riel.