Cryogenic CMOS circuit design for qubit control and readout
Quantum computers are machines that rely on characteristically quantum phenomena, such as quantum interference and quantum entanglement to perform computation. To fully exploit the performance of these novel computing systems, custom designed CMOS circuits and dedicated hardware solutions will be required. The IBM Zurich Research lab is working on several aspects in this area (Cloud & AI Systems Research, Science & Technology)
At IBM Research – Zurich, in the Neuromorphic Computing and I/O Links group, we are hiring a master’s thesis candidate, who is highly motivated to learn about cryogenic CMOS circuit design. Our team is specialized in designing high speed data converters in cutting-edge CMOS process nodes such as 14 nm or below.
The main goal of this project is to design ultra-low power CMOS circuits to meet the target specifications of cryogenic qubit control/readout system. The specific tasks to be performed are:
- Architecture modeling and simulation of circuit blocks and systems
- Circuit design and optimization of schematic and layout
- Digital design and implementation in advanced CMOS process nodes
- Parasitic extraction and post-layout simulation
- Characterization of circuits at cryogenic temperatures down to 4 K (if time permits)
Candidates are expected to have two or more of the following experiences and interests:
- Research interest in quantum control systems
- Experience working with EDA tools such as Cadence Virtuoso, Innovus or similar
- Experience with digital design using VHDL or verilog
- Experience with full custom analog schematic design and layout
- Basic understanding of microwave signal processing
- Basic programming skills (MATLAB, C++, Python, or similar)
IBM is committed to diversity at the workplace. With us you will find an open, multicultural environment. Excellent flexible working arrangements enable all genders to strike the desired balance between their professional development and their personal lives.
How to apply
If you are interested in this exciting position, please submit your application below.
For any technical questions, please contact Dr. Mridula Prathapan MRP@zurich.ibm.com.