Pre- or post-doctoral position
Quantum-safe isogeny-based cryptography
We are seeking a highly motivated candidate for a PhD or post-doctoral research position in quantum safe cryptography.
The aim of the project is to make strides towards the real-world usage of cryptographic schemes based on the difficulty of computing isogenies between elliptic curves or higher-dimensional Abelian varieties. In the past decade, through ups and downs, isogenies have emerged as an important foundation for cryptography, both pre- and post-quantum. Schemes for key exchange, digital signature, and even more advanced primitives are being consider today for real-world deployment, but there are still many gaps to close before the field can be considered mature. The project will shrink those gaps by researching the mathematical and algorithmic aspects of elliptic curves and Abelian varieties, as well as their secure and efficient implementation.
The successful candidate will be employed by the SNSF-funded project "CryptonIs: Advanced Cryptography Based on Isogenies", and will join the very dynamic Foundations of Cryptography group at IBM Research in Zurich, under the mentorship of Dr. Luca De Feo. The starting date can be any time between April 2023 and March 2024.
- A Master's degree or PhD degree in Computer Science or Mathematics, with a sincere interest in algorithms and security.
- Programming skills in at least one programming language.
- Prior expertise with algebra and basic number theory.
- A thirst for learning and hint of stubbornness.
- Advanced programming skills (low level languages, assembly, ...).
- Familiarity with researcher productivity tools (LaTeX, git, ....)
- Mathematical programming skills and familiarity with relevant systems (e.g., GMP, Sagemath, Magma, ...).
- Familiarity with elliptic curves.
- Excellent oral and written English with good presentation skills.
IBM is committed to diversity at the workplace. With us you will
find an open, multicultural environment. Excellent flexible working
arrangements enable all genders to strike the desired balance between
their professional development and their personal lives.
How to apply
Please submit your application through the button below.